DUI Defense Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
Last Modified: January 12, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Charged with DUI? We Can Help
If you have been charged with a DUI or related offense in the Phoenix or Arizona area, you will want to contact us for a free consultation for representation. These charges can have a large impact on your life, and without proper representation, you will have serious consequences.
DUI Lawyers You Can Trust in Phoenix
The Arizona laws break the severity of a DUI into several categories based on the degree to which the driver is intoxicated and how many times the driver has been convicted. A Phoenix, AZ DUI defense lawyer can help you make sense of your situation.
Drivers may face Arizona DUI charges if they are caught driving with a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of .08 or more. Studies reveal that a .05 BAC level leaves a driver impaired and thus, .08 is the standard BAC level that results in an Arizona DUI offense conviction in the event that a driver is caught driving while intoxicated.
Arizona DUI Laws
You will face Arizona DUI charges if you are caught driving under the following conditions:
- Driving with a BAC of .08 + within 2 hours of driving
- Driving with a BAC of .04 + if you hold a commercial drivers license and are operating a commercial vehicle
- Driving with any metabolite of an illegal substance in your body
- Driving under the age of 21 and with any amount of spirituous alcohol in your body
- Driving impaired to any degree as a result of the use of a substance
Consequences of a DUI conviction vary depending on how many times a person has been caught operating a vehicle while being under the influence and the degree of how intoxicated they are.
Some DUI Statistics
- In 2011, the total number of 1,140 children below the age of 14 were killed in auto accidents. Out of those 1,140 fatalities, 181 occurred in alcohol-impaired-driving accidents.
- The rate of alcohol impairment among drivers involved in fatal auto accidents in 2011 was 4.5 times larger at night than during the day.
- In 2011, 15% of all drivers involved in fatal crashes during the week were alcohol-impaired, compared to 31 percent on weekends.
- In fatal crashes in 2011 the highest percentage of drivers with a BAC level of .08 or higher was for drivers ages 21 to 24.
- The proportion of drivers involved in fatal crashes with BAC levels of .08 or higher was 24% among males and 14 percent among females.
- The percentages of drivers involved in fatal crashes with a BAC level of .08 or higher in 2011 were 29% for motorcycles, 24% for passenger cars, and 21% for trucks.
An “Extreme DUI”, or felony DUI, under Arizona law occurs when a driver is operating a vehicle with a BAC level of .15 or higher; it is considered to be a criminal misdemeanor. A DUI in general is considered to be a misdemeanor unless a person is convicted of a 3rd DUI within 60 months of their first 2 DUI convictions. In this case, the DUI is considered to be “aggravated” and may be deemed a criminal felony resulting in up to 4 months of prison, mandatory counseling, the installation of an interlock ignition device, and a revoked license for 3 years.
Contact an Phoenix DUI Lawyer at (877) 229-9508 to schedule a free initial consultation.
All Arizona DUI charges that end up in conviction result in punishments that involve varying degrees of the following consequences:
- Jail Time
- Interlock Transmission Device Installation
- Suspended License
If you have been charged with Driving Under the Influence, it is in your best interest to contact an experienced Arizona DUI lawyer immediately. You are afforded rights as an accused person and are not considered guilty until convicted in a court of law. An Arizona DUI defense lawyer can ensure that your rights are upheld and fight for your innocence.
Contact an Experienced Phoenix DUI Lawyer
The Phoenix DUI defense lawyers at Cates Law Group, PLLC have years of experience in litigating cases on behalf of those accused of serious crimes. We have a wealth of experience in defending those accused of drug crimes, robbery, domestic violence, murder and more. Our lawyers will fight for your rights. We offer FREE and CONFIDENTIAL case evaluations. Contact the Arizona DUI defense lawyers at Cates Law Group, PLLC today!